J&A Farm Popcorn Preparation Instructions
– Break kernels off of 1 cob with thumbs, or rub with towel
– Pop in hot air popper, or microwave in a sealed paper bag, or the old fashioned pot and oil method (our favorite way):
-Put 1/4 – 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in a paper lunch bag. Sprinkle in a little bit of salt if desired. Fold over top of bag to seal. Place bag in microwave oven on its side so that bag is not touching any walls or top of microwave. Set to “microwave popcorn setting”, or 3 minutes. After 2 1/2 – 3 minutes you will hear the popping slow significantly, at that point stop oven and remove bag to prevent popcorn from burning. Shake bag then open carefully (so you do not get a steam burn). Enjoy!
Old Fashioned pot and oil method Popcorn:
– In a 4-5 qt heavy bottomed pot, add 2 tsp vegetable oil (peanut, canola, corn, etc.) and 1 cob’s worth of kernels (about ½ cup). Place pot over medium to medium-high heat.
– Allow pot to heat up, shaking every 30 seconds of so, till popping begins. Keep pot mostly covered with lid, so that steam can escape but kernels can not.
– Once popping has began, lower heat slightly to prevent kernels from burning, and keep cover vented as before to prevent steam from building up. Shake occasionally during this rapid popping stage.
– After several minutes, the popping sound will slow to 1 pop every second or two. Turn the heat off at this point, and wait for popping to stop (about 30 seconds or so).
– Promptly remove pot lid and pour popcorn into a serving bowl to halt cooking process. Sprinkle fine salt and/or melted butter if desired. You may also add any additional flavorings at this point such as chili powder, herbs and spices. — ENJOY!